Thursday, May 1, 2008

Things I'll Never See

Photobucket

My heart still beats within my mother's womb.
I cannot leave this place...nor do I want to.
Inside these walls, safe and silent
I live and breathe in rhythm
with her slowly rising chest.
There is only warmth and purring water
circling round my head, comforting my skin.
I hear her voice and know her sighs
and there is peace when she lies down
... we dream.
I bounce with her laughter
as she tries to paint her toes
and curl up close when she cries.
Is she lonely for my face?
I'm afraid...fearful she won't know me
on the other side.
I don't want to leave this place
but there are things I'll never see in here....
my mother's eyes
her smile...
my own face in the mirror.


Joanne Cucinello
1997

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back during my university days, I wrote a paper from the pespective of a baby in a womb. I found it meaningful to take the perspective of the unborn child. We can always learn from stepping outside what seems familiar in a comfort zone. I also love the psychedelic image at the start of your website. It is celestial.

Joanne Cucinello said...

Thank you Liara,
I appreciate your comments and your meaningful insights. The womb has always held such fascination and mythical significance. We could meditiate on it forever and still find more!