Monday, April 14, 2008

Angels Envy

sleeping baby
**This picture took me all the way back to when one of my own babies would fall into sweet sleep at the end of a busy day . . . and how my motherheart would long for the captured moment of their innocence to live on forever. And so I wrote this poem for all young parents who gaze in wonder every night at their little miracles safe and snug . . . while the angels watch.

Angels Envy

Sweet child of our longing
caught in slumber's net tonight
the stars live in your eyes.
Dream your fairy dreams
your tiny body rest.

Bewitched though you may be
in daylight mirth
casting spells
of giddy laughter . . .
this night I see my Cherub
still in heaven's light
a countenance
so fair
that angels envy.

Stay awhile
small and innocent.
Do not fly away just yet
joy of my life
my child.

Joanne Cucinello ©2007

No comments: